US K-6 Certified
Since my first classroom teaching role, I have been dedicated to improving all aspects of my teaching abilities. I believe certification is essential for professional teachers.
Qualified Teaching Status to work in state-maintained schools across the United Kingdom
My CELTA accreditation and experience in TESOL, along with my own experience of language learning, have equipped me with the technical knowledge, proven teaching techniques, and qualified resources to teach a classroom of ESL learners at varying English levels.
I believe my role as an elementary school teacher is to engage and guide students through the learning process to help create the foundation for life-long learners. Through inquiry-based classroom discussions, combined with project-based learning tasks, I always hope to inspire each student’s natural curiosity and creativity in my classroom, no matter their learning level. I want my students to feel hopeful and cared for every day they come to class.
In addition to my commitment to my student’s creativity and engagement, I believe testing the student’s mastery of the material through regular assessments is essential. Students must have a clear idea of what they are learning, the goals set out for them, and their progress in achieving those goals. I also believe that assessments cannot truly determine progress if they are not supported by specific, effective feedback. I praise my students for achieving their goals and showing effort, creativity, critical thinking, and eagerness. To model the skills and behaviors I want to see from my students, I am always improving my own skills as an educator.
Develop and implement lessons based on learning standards, materials, and student interest.
• Create lessons that are based in the Common Core State Standards, and challenge students to apply basic concepts across major subjects.
• Boost critical-thinking, fluency, problem solving, collaboration and literacy skills for academic and practical applications.
Create and apply numerous assessment methods that are rooted in clear learning targets that help measure student achievement levels.
- Summative Assessments aligned to weekly learning targets with use of pre- and post- tests to show mastery of concept.
- Formative Assessments that provides specific feedback to students on each concept and criteria, allowing them to understand where they are doing well and where they need to improve.
Example: Through a mix of observations during learning tasks and the use of the “thumbs up thumbs down” approach at the end of my lessons, I am able to assess how confident students feel, and can address learning gaps in real time with each student by finding time for mini “conferences” to reteach certain concepts.
- Student Self-Assessment which allows students to reflect and assess where they are in achieving learning goals.
Example: Students fill out “Time Out” cards and add them to the all-purpose classroom “Thought” box, giving them the opportunity to express concerns over areas they don’t fully understand, without feeling embarrassed in front of their peers.
- Informal Assessments during learning tasks to monitor and evaluate student engagement and understanding to help modify future lesson plans if needed.
- My classroom environment is one that cultivates respect for all, responsibility for actions, and readiness to learn.
- Transparent and easy to understand classroom procedures direct students to the type of behavior they are expected to model every day. Investing time at the beginning of the semester, along with continual practice throughout the year, allow students to develop and maintain habits that create a positive learning environment.
- The students have a clear rewards and consequences system, along with clear classroom routines, student roles, seating arrangements, in-class/break-time procedures, and bell work.
- Students develop self-directed work habits as well as collaboration with peers, through varied learning tasks.
- I have high expectations of all students, requiring them to demonstrate understanding of the proper rules and procedures every day, regardless of skill level. Every student in my classroom knows that they have to put in the effort and hard work in order to better themselves.
- Routines and procedures are underwritten by the 5 core rules of the classroom; 1) Always raise your hand for permission to speak. 2) Always raise your hand for permission to leave your seat. 3) Always follow directions quickly. 4) Always respect others and yourself. 5) Make smart choices.
Communication and Collaboration
- Building a positive working relationship with parents and guardians is the key to creating a dynamic learning environment for students, both inside and outside the classroom.
- Communication with parents and guardians is paramount, both for resolving issues, and also for sharing learning accomplishments, exemplary behavior, and positive progress during learning tasks.
- Collaboration with fellow teachers to share ideas and provide support.
Example: With teachers of other nationalities struggling with the lesson planning of Common Core Social Studies learning standards, I worked closely with my team leader to create various learning tasks as examples for creating engaging material. Fellow teachers then observed my social studies classes to see the implementation of learning tasks in action.
Homeroom Teacher 4th Grade
Limai Chinese American International School
- Homeroom teacher instructing in a variety of subjects including English Language Arts, Singapore Math, Science, and Social Studies to international students.
- Creation and delivery of lessons in line with the Common Core State Standards to prepare students for examinations in the United States.
- Continuous liaison and coordination with parents, management, support staff, and external examination board to communicate progress and issues.
- Support to co-workers to improve implementation of inquiry-based, student-led learning environments.
Wall Street English
- Training and coaching adult professionals and young learners in English language skills, both in group and one-to-one classes.
- Preparation of students for international examinations, including IELTS, TOEFL, University Entrance Exams, and other certifications.
- Incorporation of Cambridge Courses, Pearson textbooks and self-developed materials for delivery of student-centric, tailored classes.
Contiki Holidays Asia
- Implementation and support of training material and procedures for new staff.
- Research, support and problem solving for product launches within a top-tier travel corporation.
- Contract negotiation and logistics planning for two new products launched in India.
Certification, Education, and Awards
Florida Teaching Certification (in progress)
University of West Florida (CAEP)
CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
BA Political Science
University of Central Florida
Outstanding Teacher Award 2020-2021
Limai Chinese American International School
Shining Star Teaching Performance Award 2019
Wall Street English